This Week-Long Celebration in Manila is an Ode to the Great Leonardo da Vinci
Five hundred years since his passing, the legacy of Leonardo da Vinci lives on in every corner of the world—even the Philippines. A painter, sculptor, inventor, engineer, scientist, architect, astronomer, among other things, da Vinci’s discoveries are still revered to this day. He was a man beyond his time, a universal genius bordering on superhuman.
While his works like the "Mona Lisa" and the "Virgin of the Rocks" are under lock and key in the Louvre and his remains rest in the Château d'Amboise, the Philippines will soon be able to experience the Renaissance man’s genius as Leonardo in Manila, a series of cultural events celebrating da Vinci, will run throughout November.
Organized by The Philippine Italian Association, the Italian Embassy in the Philippines, and the Italian Chamber of Commerce in the Philippines Inc., the celebration will consist of pocket events that will explore da Vinci’s iconic "Last Supper" as well as da Vinci-inspired wine and cuisine.
But the highlight of Leonardo in Manila will be the magnum opus of Italian director and actor Massimiliano Finazzer Flory, Being Leonardo da Vinci: An Impossible Interview. The multi-medium production will be shown as a movie, a play, and a master class. Flory will portray da Vinci as none have before, exploring the inner workings of the genius’ mind and giving audiences a glimpse of the closest thing they can get to the late maestro.
Here are all the Leonardo da Vinci events to catch this month:
- The Last Supper – Dinner and Lecture: November 13, Caruso Ristorante Italiano
- Cook-Off with Leonardo: November 14, Lyceum of the Philippines University
- Being Leonardo da Vinci: An Impossible Interview Film Screening: November 19, Cinematheque Center Manila
- Being Leonardo da Vinci: An Impossible Interview The Masterclass: November 20, Cultural Center of the Philippines
- Leonardo: Wine & Cuisine:November 20, Ponte Rialto Ristorante Italiano
- Being Leonardo da Vinci: An Impossible Interview The Play: November 21, Cultural Center of the Philippines