Meat Lovers, Rejoice! The Esquire Guide to the Best Burgers in Manila
Ah, the hamburger. It is one of the most beloved and iconic dishes in the world. Luckily, some of the best burgers in Manila are up to the challenge of satisfying your need for a well-designed, well-seasoned, well-made setup of bread, meat, and don't forget all the other fixings.
The Best Burgers in Manila
Rare (pun intended) is the meat lover who does not care to sink his teeth into a crisp-edged, juicy beef patty, topped with cheese (American always works!), sandwiched between an equally crisp-edged bun, with accoutrements like fresh lettuce, plump tomatoes, or even the occasional onion. We found nine delicious burgers in Manila that fit that description.
Manila has spawned some great burger choices compared to, say, 10 years ago. In fact some of the best burgers in Manila have come and gone. A moment of silence to remember the deliciousness of Grind, Boutique Burger Kitchen, and even that classic Chili's Black Peppercorn Burger.
It's hard to be sad for long because Manila's burger game just keeps getting better. (Shake Shack, we're looking at you.) If you're looking for a meat fix, we've come up with an unranked list that mixes a few classic options with new wave concoctions.
If you want to try some of the best burgers in Manila, here (in no particular order) are the ones to start with:
Wildflour holds the crown for many of the city's best dishes, and its California Burger is definitely up there in the list of Manila's best burgers. It is the epitome of a bistro burger: The patty is nestled within a house-made bun, spooned with a secret house sauce, served on a plank. Very chic, and very good.
- Wildflour doesn't have any other burger available but it bakes its bread in-house, so any item on the menu that features bread is worth a try.
- Wildflour's little sibling Little Flour has its own version of this burger with American cheese and pan de mie.
2| The Beef
The Beef has some of Manila's most beloved burgers. It's is all about its meat blend, which has enough fat to make you smell it a mile away when it's sizzling on the griddle. It’s a steady burger (a classic interpretation), and with hand-cut fries and pickles, it is about as all-American as it gets.
- The Beef highlights its excellent patty by having only two varieties of burgers: the regular burger and the cheeseburger.
- It's set to open at Rockwell's The Grid.
Hole in the Wall, Century City Mall, Makati City.
3| Farm Organics
Farm Organics uses certified organic grass-fed beef sourced from its own farm as the base of its burgers. Among the best burgers in Manila, this is probably the closest you're going to get to a "healthy" burger.
- Farm Organics has an entire menu dedicated to to burgers, so you know you're in good hands. It even has one just dressed in lettuce. You can choose whether you want your patties local all-natural or certified organic.
- Our recommendation is the signature The Farmer's Burger: a ginormous 200-gram patty dressed up with the classic combo of bacon (nitrite-free, of course), egg, cheese, and organic lettuce.
Commercenter, Filinvest City, Muntinlupa City; Power Plant Mall, Rockwell, Makati City
It's funny how this restaurant is on the list. Pink’s is known the world over as a hotdog specialist, but that doesn't stop it from creating one of the most delicious burgers... ever. It is as close to perfection as a burger in Manila will ever get. The flavors are solid and the textures and contrasts in every bite make for burger nirvana.
- Pink's signature burger puts together American cheese, a secret sauce, lettuce, onion, tomato, and a whopping quarter-pounder patty, which you can double up. Its burger menu includes the Chili Cheeseburger, Breakfast Burger, and Barbecue Bacon Cheeseburger.
- Pink's Philippines is owned by the same folks who are behind Wildflour and Little Flour (see No. 1).
Shangri-La at the Fort, Bonifacio Global City, Taguig City; Okada Manila, Entertainment City, Parañaque City; City of Dreams Manila, Entertainment City, Parañaque City
If you’re lucky enough to stay at the luxe Nobu Hotel and you’re up for a splurge, call room service and order its Black Wagyu burger. Manila's standout burgers have gotten much more extravagant in the last decade. Housed in a potato bun, Nobu's is a nice hefty premium burger (but not too out there) that's guaranteed to spoil you.
- This legendary restaurant is known for its nikkei dishes and its spectacular Sunday brunch, so it might come as a surprise that the burger's pretty stellar. If you think the Wagyu burger is good, then you should try Nobu's other Wagyu dishes.
Nobu Hotel, City of Dreams Manila, Aseana Boulevard corner Macapagal Avenue, Entertainment City, Parañaque City
6| 8 Cuts
Since it first opened at U.P. Town Center (another moment of silence for the demise of this branch), 8 Cuts has become the default for anyone craving a good burger in Manila. One of the best things to have at 8 Cuts will always be its house blend burger. It is the most balanced, flavorwise, and is the perfect gateway dish to the rest of its menu.
- From several meat combinations, 8 Cuts dialed it down to just two: grass-fed and house-blend, proving that quality trumps quality any day. Their classic cheeseburger is textbook, but you shouldn't overlook The Piggy and The Hangover.
- Do yourself a favor and order the onion rings.
7| Discovery Primea
This burger flies under the radar, but we'll let you in on a secret: Chefs and industry folks from other hotels (yes, other hotels) come here just to eat Primea’s Gilarmi burger. A monster patty (grilled Angus), cooked to your liking, with cheese, lettuce, tomato, AND an egg and bacon, too, it will knock you senseless with how good it is. It may be a sleeper hit, but once you try it, you'll definitely call it one of the best burgers in Manila.
- The burger may be overshadowed by Gilarmi Lounge's bevy of cocktails, but there's nothing wrong with having a drink in your hand and a burger in the other.
Ground floor Discovery Primea, 6749 Ayala Avenue, Makati City
8| Sweet Ecstasy
As one of Manila’s premier burger meisters, Sweet Ecstasy has a lot of tricks under its sleeves. Check out the steamed burger (off the menu) which is a different creature from most burgers in these parts, but is equally as tasty!
- Sweet Ecstasy steams its burger in a special cabinet, grills it quickly, and then finishes it off with a heap of onions.
- If you want to add even more oomph to your steamed burger, ask for cheese, bacon, double, and more.
9| Burger Geek
Located in the south, Burger Geek does smashed burgers, giving their surface extra texture, especially when sandwiched in potato buns. Though underrated due to its location, the burgers here are a true classic, and one of the best you will find in the south and in Metro Manila.
- Burger Geek has every kind of burger under the sun: It has a combination of eggs and bacon, another with fries, another with onion rings—yes, within the two buns, crammed in there with the smashed patty.
- The smashed patty is a Burger Geek signature. Not only does it create a crusty, er, crust around the patty, it also locks in the juiciness of the beef.
Molito Commercial Complex, Alabang, Muntinlupa City
Remember, this is only a starter kit of Metro Manila's best burgers. Do your own exploring and let us know where you get your burger fix.