Cook your own churros at midnight
Heat up late nights with spicy chocolate churros and a side of peach smoothies.
- 1 cup of water
- 2 1/2 tbsp sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 2 quarts frying oil
- 1/3 cup of dusting sugar
- In a pot, boil the sugar, water, salt, and vegetable oil. Bring to a boil, then take off the heat.
- Add in the flour. Mix until a dough ball forms.
- Heat the oil in a deep-fryer or in a frying pan (it has to get really hot—375° Fahrenheit or 190° Celsius. Anything lower will make an oily mess). Add pipe strips of your dough through a pastry bag, or pastry syringe.
- Fry until golden brown and place them on paper to drain the excess oil.
- Dust with cinnamon and dusting sugar when slightly warm.
- For the chocolate sauce: Melt 150 g of semi-sweet chocolate with 4 tbsp of butter and a pinch of salt, in a double boiler. Mix in 1/4 cup of heavy cream, 1 tbsp of vanilla and 4 tsp of chili powder. Whisk until well-incorporated.
- A can of peach halves
- 100 g of frozen strawberries
- 100 ml orange juice
- 150 ml of your favorite yogurt
Drain peaches. Blend everything together with four ice cubes. Garnish with some fresh strawberries.
This article originally appeared in the August 2016 issue of Esquire Philippines. Minor edits have been made by the Esquiremag.ph editors.