Health and Fitness

These Are the Most Sleep-Deprived Professions, According to New Research

How many hours shut-eye do you get?
IMAGE Warner Bros. Television
Comments

A good night's sleep can go a long way, but there are a whole multitude of things standing in the way between you and a full night of slumber. From what you eat to the timings of your last coffee, everything has an impact, including your career.

According to new research by Hillarys, the average amount of sleep you get a night heavily varies depending on your job.

In the survey, 4,596 Britons were asked whether they thought they got enough sleep each night, to which just 11 per cent replied yes. The remaining 89% believed they get less sleep than they need.

More from EsquireMag.ph

Researchers then asked respondents how much sleep they get on average in a nightand the results might surprise you.

The following five industries were revealed to be those that receive the least amount of sleep:

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
  1. Healthcare – 4 hours 15 minutes
  2. Law enforcement – 4 hours 30 minutes
  3. Teaching – 4 hours 35 minutes
  4. Journalists – 4 hours 50 minutes
  5. Hospitality – 5 hours

    In contrast, these are the five industries to work in if you want the most amount of sleep:

    1. Hair and beauty – 9 hours 40 minutes
    2. Telemarketers – 8 hours 45 minutes
    3. Insurance – 8 hours 20 minutes
    4. Retail – 8 hours 15 minutes
    5. Construction – 8 hours 10 minutes

      All respondents said that stress (44%) and a high caffeine consumption (19%) were the most common factors keeping them up at night, with more than half feeling like they had an issue with their health because of their sleeping pattern.

      Surprisingly, despite people feeling like their health was suffering as a result, only one fifth said they had made an effort to improve their nightly routine, such as changing their diet, trying yoga, speaking to their manager at work or using sleeping aids.

      This story originally appeared on Esquire.co.uk.

      * Minor edits have been made by the Esquiremag.ph editors.

      Comments
      View More Articles About:
      Recommended Videos
      About The Author
      Jessica Davis
      View Other Articles From Jessica
      Comments
      Latest Feed
       
      Share
      Dark and suspenseful classics from Hitchcock, the Safdie brothers, Nolan and more
       
      Share
       
      Share
      The eruption caught the residents and nation off guard, exploding without warning at 2 a.m. as people were still sleeping.
       
      Share
      New series, one-offs, and standout podcast episodes from long-running favorites.
       
      Share
      Start afresh, and get ahead (and very well-dressed)
       
      Share
      Star Trek? Django 2? Kill Bill 3? An Aussie crime thriller?
       
      Share
       
      Share
      The sakura trees were gifts from Kochi Prefecture and the Japanese embassy.
       
      Share
      It's all about that rockstar feel and the attitude that comes with it.
       
      Share
      Load More Articles
      Connect With Us