Filipinos Top the World in Family Vacations and Barkada Trips
If there's anything the rest of the world should learn about us from movie-of-the-moment Crazy Rich Asians, it's that family means everything.
According to new research from online travel agent Agoda, this trait carries over to our travel habits: seven out of 10 families globally take at least two family vacations a year, with Asian travelers taking more than twice as many family trips as their Western peers, taking an average of five trips a year versus two. We love going on trips with our families, no matter what the circumstances: think Patay na si Hesus vs. National Lampoon's Vacation.
The Agoda Family Travel Trends 2018 survey, conducted by YouGov, found that 34% of travelers have taken more than five family trips in the past year. Asia dominates this multi-holiday trend with an incredible 77% of travelers from Thailand and 62% from the Philippines claiming to have taken five or more family vacations in the past year. Compare that to the 7% of British travelers took more than five family trips, or 20% of Americans.
Unsurprisingly, it wasn't just immediate family that we took on vacations. For Asians, extended and multi-generational families (i.e., including grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles, etc.) are also more of a thing than for Westerners. Thais (66%) and Indonesians (54%) were most likely to have included grandparents and other family members in their holiday plans, while travelers from the UK (13%) and Australia (20%) are the least likely to have done so.
FILIPINOS ARE #1 IN BARKADA TRIPS
Here's something we all know: Filipinos think there's nothing more natural than traveling with friends., with almost half (48%) of travelers from the Philippines saying that they've gone on trips with group of friends. In comparison, only 22% of Americans, 23% of Brits, 26% of Australians and 27% of Chinese traveled with friends in the past year.
Other things the survey reveals about Filipino family travelers:
- 75% of Filipino travelers have traveled with their core family in the past year, 37% with their extended family and 53% with their grandparents and/or grandchildren
- On average, Filipinos went on seven family trips in the past year
- 4-7 nights is most popular duration of Filipino family trips
- Filipino travelers look forward to quality time with family (78%), relaxing (69%) and trying new things (52%) the most while on family trips
- The top three concerns Filipinos have during family trips are falling sick (34%), the standard of accommodation (28%) and having disagreements with the family (17%)