What Does Miss Universe Actually Win?
As glorious as the Miss Universe pageants are, the winner doesn’t actually win the world, or the universe rather. Instead, whoever is crowned Miss Universe wins a prize package worth millions of dollars, although it won’t all be in cash, although the Miss Universe salary is rumored to be impressive.
Here’s everything Miss Universe 2020 will win:
- A rumored six-figure salary, although the Miss Universe Organization is tight-lipped about the cash prize.
- A one-year stay at the Miss Universe apartment in New York City, which she’s expected to share with Miss U.S.A.
- Groceries, transport, and the like during her one-year stay at the Miss Universe apartment.
- A team of assistants, makeup artists, and the like at her beck and call.
- One year’s supply of makeup, hair products, shoes, clothes, jewelry, skincare, and more.
- The opportunity to model for the best photographers to build her modeling portfolio.
- Professional styling, nutrition, dermatology, and dental services.
- Access to exclusive events, parties, premieres, screenings, castings, and more.
- All-expense paid traveling privileges, including hotel accommodation and food.
- Traveling the world—again, for free.
That’s a lot of perks, but it also comes with the responsibility of being Miss Universe. That means attending events, pageants, charities, and press conferences as the chief ambassador of the Miss Universe Organization.
There’s also one huge perk to being Miss Universe—wearing a $5 million (P238 million) crown on your head. Of course, it's only a loan and she can't take it home, but Miss Universe 2020 will get to the wear the Mouawad Miss Universe Power of Unity Crown regularly for special occasions. The crown was first used in the 2019 pageant and is to date, the most expensive crown ever used. Miss Universe will literally be carrying around millions on her head as the crown consists of 1,770 diamonds set in 18-karat gold. We wouldn’t be surprised if it came with its own security team.
The winner will also likely gain access to perks and privileges provided by Miss Universe 2020 sponsors, which include fashion brand Sherri Hill, jewelry brand Mouwad, Olivia Quido Skincare, show brand Jojo Bragais, swimwear brand Ema Savahl, and Lazada. Other sponsors include The Guitar Hotel, The Hard Rock Hotel and Casino, City of Hollywood Florida, InvisiSmart, IQ.com, and Carnival.
For many Miss Universe winners, the pageant opens doors for plenty of other opportunities. If they play their cards right, the crown marks only the beginning of their career. Miss Universe 2018 Catriona Gray is starting her music career, while Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach has become a popular influencer, model, and podcaster.
Don't forget to subscribe to the Esquire Philippines YouTube channel.
Esquire Philippines is now on Quento.