Malacañang Palace Through the Years, in Photos
Since 1863, Malacañang Palace has been the seat of power in the Philippines. Through the years, the complex has been occupied by Spanish governor-generals, American military and civil governors, and Presidents of the Philippines. It has seen several expansions and refurbishments, as well as historical events including official functions, parties, upheavals, and more.
Here, we take a look back at how the presidential residence and office has changed through the decades.
The earliest-known picture of Malacañang Palace taken by British photographer Albert Honiss who was active in Manila through the 1860s and early 1870s.
Malacañang Palace chief engineer José Diaz Meño extended the terrace in 1885.
August 13, 1898
The 1898 Battle of Manila ended with an American flag being hoisted on the palace as the Spaniards surrended to the U.S.
Governor-General William Cameron Forbes and his cabinet in front of the Palace fountain.
The Palace's interiors were still heavy with Spanish influence during the start of the 20th century.
A second story was added to the Executive Building to house the new Executive Office, the Cabinet Room, and the Council of State Room.
President Manuel L. Quezon receive Filipino atheletes who competed in the Berlin Olympiad.
An entrance leading to the quarters was renovated in 1937.
The Pasig River facade as it was during its completion in 1940.
Malacañang Palace during the rule of President Diosdado Macapagal.
April 2, 1980
Imelda Marcos shows Princess Margaret locally made handicrafts during the latter's official visit in Manila.
February 25, 1986
The scene as people looted Malacañang Palace after the Marcoses left right after the EDSA People Power Revolution.
The Malacañang Palace reception hall which features Czechoslovak chandeliers and a Renaissance-style paneled ceiling.
March 12, 2013
Malacañang Palace as it stands today.
Don't forget to subscribe to the Esquire Philippines YouTube channel.
Esquire Philippines is now on Quento.