The Coast Guard Has Retrieved Bodies in Sunken Vessel in Cebu
On September 24, 2021, fishing vessel FV St. Peter the Fisherman II sank as it sailed through rough waters and strong winds off the coast of Cebu island.
The Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) Special Operations Unit-Western Visayas located the sunken vessel on September 27.
In a search and rescue dive conducted on September 28, the Coast Guard found the remains of cook Julian Dungog inside the inner compartment of the sunken FV St. Peter Fisherman II.
PCG District Western Visayas Commander, CG Commodore Hostillo Arturo E Cornelio said the body was already in its advanced stage of decomposition. Due to the presence of debris that may endanger the lives of PCG divers, the team has decided to retrieve the cadaver during the salvage operation of the sunken vessel that will be conducted by the Tristar Fishing Corporation.
VIDEO: Retrieval Operation by The Philippine Coast Guard
The Coast Guard had previously retrieved the bodies of seven fishermen who went missing after the incident. Norberto Parlotzo, Rommel Engle, Julit Salvo, Victor Calvo, Hermoño Ronamo, Frankie Chavez, and Renante Forsuelo were among the victims whose bodies have been retrieved.
Meanwhile, the Coast Guard has successfully rescued 22 other fishermen from the incident.
One fisherman remains missing.
“The PCG search and retrieval team also checked the ship’s net, following information from one of the survivors that the last missing fisherman, Third Engineer Manuel Auditor, was texting on the upper deck when the incident occurred. PCG divers presumed that his body might be trapped at the ship’s net but upon inspection, it yielded a negative result,” the Coast Guard said in a statement.