News

The Philippines' COVID-19 Cases Plunges

Transmission is slowing down.
IMAGE SHUTTERSTOCK
Comments

The Philippines is finally seeing significant victories against the pandemic. For the first time since 2020, the number of active cases recorded daily in the country is dropping significantly.

According to data from the Department of Health, there were 6,913 active cases recorded on October 17, 2021.

This is a sharp drop from 27,887 on September 9, and 26,251 on September 11—the two highest single-day active cases recorded in the country. The figures on October 17 are the lowest since July 25.

COVID-19 Cases in the Philippines from May 2020 to Present

Of the 53,669 people who were tested on October 15, only 12.5 percent were confirmed to be infected. 

Metro Manila is also seeing slower transmission rates of the virus, according to OCTA Research. 

According to OCTA fellow Dr. Guido David, the reproduction rate of the virus in Metro Manila from October 10 to October 17 was at 0.58. A reproduction rate of lower than 1 means the virus transmission is slowing down. 

In a report by CNN Philippines, OCTA Research fellow Dr. Guido David says this is a significant improvement. 

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

“This is a very good reproduction number, the positivity rate has improved and is considered moderate but the target is still five percent,” David told CNN Philippines.

Metro Manila Achieves Over 80 Percent Vaccination Rate

Although Metro Manila is still considered a critical region for the spread of COVID-19, intense vaccination efforts by the national government, local governments, and the private sector have resulted in slowing down the spread of the virus in the region, which has been a hotbed of virus transmission since the pandemic started early last year. 

The region has achieved 80 percent vaccination on October 12, 2021. Paranaque City Mayor Edwin Olivarez, chairman of the Metro Manila Council (MMC), told Manila Bulletin that 80 percent of the eligible adult population in the National Capital Region (NCR) had been fully vaccinated against the COVID-19. The mayor said the region plans to vaccinate the remaining 20 percent by early November. 

According to data from the National Task Force Against COVID-19, there are 23.98 million Filipinos or 31.09 percent of the target population who have been fully vaccinated as of October 14. 

Some Provinces Still Experiencing High Transmission Rates

Although COVID-19 cases have plummeted in Metro Manila, some provinces and cities are experiencing a spike in the number of active cases reported daily. OCTA Research placed Zamboanga City under the “Critical Risk” category. The city recorded 221 infections from October 10 to 16. Its healthcare utilization rate is also placed under “Critical.” Its healthcare facilities have an 87 percent utilization rate, while its intensive care units have a 73 percent utilization.  

Meanwhile, OCTA Research is closely monitoring the spread of the virus in Naga City in the Bicol Region, which recorded a 61 percent growth rate in COVID-19 infections in the same period with 61 recorded cases.

CONTINUE READING BELOW
Recommended Videos

La Trinidad in Benguet recorded 64 cases from October 10 to 16, which is equivalent to an Average Daily attack Rate (ADAR) of 45.7 percent. ADAR refers to the number of infected people for every 100,000 population.

Discover the best of culture, business, and style from Esquire Philippines. Visit Quento for more stories and subscribe to our YouTube channel for new videos. 

Comments
View More Articles About:
More Videos You Can Watch
About The Author
Mario Alvaro Limos
Features Editor, Esquire Philippines
View Other Articles From Mario
Latest Feed
Load More Articles
Connect With Us