President Bongbong Marcos Says That the Philippines Has No Plans of Rejoining the ICC
With the International Criminal Court (ICC) potentially opening an investigation on former President Rodrigo Duterte's campaign against illegal drugs, President Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. said on Monday, August 1, that the Philippines has no plans of rejoining the body.
President Marcos met with Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Juan Ponce Enrile, Solicitor General Menardo Guevarra, Department of Justice Secretary Crispin "Boying" Remulla, and Executive Secretary Vic Rodriguez.
The meeting also included former Presidential Spokesperson Atty. Harry Roque, who had been one of the Duterte government's most staunch defenders. Roque considered himself as a “private counsel” to the group. Marcos also looped Roque in for his knowledge of ICC jurisdiction and procedures.
“The Philippines has no intention of rejoining the ICC,” he expressed during a press briefing in Pasig City.
“Para alam natin ang gagawin natin, if we will not respond—kung sakali man sasagot tayo ano isasagot natin, or possible din hindi natin papansinin dahil hindi naman tayo sumasailalim sa kanila,” he noted.
According to the president, he has asked his Cabinet members to assess what would be the best possible approach to the potential investigation minus any misrepresentation of the government.
On June 24, ICC Prosecutor Karim Khan said that he wanted to reopen the probe on the Duterte government's "War on Drugs" campaign. After communicating with the campaign's victims and families, the Philippines has until September 8 to submit additional comments and observations.
Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, who was the chief implementer of the program, said that he has no plans of cooperating with the ICC either.