President Duterte Reminds Government Hospitals: ‘Must Accept Admission’
In a late-night press conference with cabinet officials on April 13, 2020—one month into the Luzon-wide enhanced community quarantine due to the COVID-19 pandemic—President Rodrigo Duterte addressed the nation.
Here are some key points from his speech:
- For distribution of aid, he stressed the importance of surveys and how barangay captains and mayors have the duty to determine the Filipinos who are in need. The President also mentioned, "We are distributing to 18 million low-income families."
- He asked the public to not discriminate health workers. Duterte ordered police to arrest anyone who is reported of harassing or doing such discriminatory act.
- He also ordered that government hospitals must admit COVID-19 patients, or else they will be suspended. "Must accept admission. If you fail on that, I will relieve all of you."
- He reminded the public to follow social distancing. "Pag hindi natin ito susunod, walang mangyayari. Huwag munang lumabas ng bahay."
- In line with the reminder on social distancing, he warned that the ongoing crisis is only the first wave of the pandemic, and that there will be a second and third wave.
- The Finance Department proposed a program wherein the middle-class will be given subsidy, particularly those with small businesses.
- He approved the purchasing of the FDA-approved rapid test kits.
As of writing, the Department of Health (DOH) confirms that there are 4,932 cases and 315 deaths in the country. They have also announced that 242 patients have recovered.