Recommended Videos

More articles about: abs-cbn

 
Share
The network issued a statement to clarify matters.
GMA Network Incorporated insists it has not violated the broadcast limit of 50 years granted to broadcast companies by a congressional franchise. In a statement issued Friday, June 19, GMA Network said it was granted a congressional franchise to operate first in 1992, ...
 
Share
Carlo Katigbak came prepared.
ABS-CBN President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Carlo Katigbak answered all the allegations leveled against the broadcast network.Katigbak once again faced the scrutiny of legislators from the House of Representatives during the hearing on ABS-CBN’s franchise renewal on June 1. In the ...
 
Share
Atty. Christian Monsod corrects a lawmaker about the law.
"Wrong provision, wrong interpretation."This was the opinion of one of the framers of the 1987 Constitution about the alleged exceedingly expired franchise of ABS-CBN. Atty. Christian Monsod, a member of the Constitutional Assembly that framed the 1987 Constitution, allege that those who ...
 
Share
A GMA-7 writer also speaks up on the issue.
During yesterday's Congress hearing on ABS-CBN's franchise renewal, Deputy Speaker and SAGIP Partylist Rep. Rodante Marcoleta compared the amount of taxes paid by the embattled network and its rival GMA-7. In 2017,GMA-7 paid P1.09 billion paid compared to ABS-CBN's P421 million. In 2018, ...
 
Share
It was launched by employees of the network.
On May 22, ABS-CBN’s employees launched an online petition calling on the House of Representatives to immediately tackle the pending bills seeking to renew the franchise of the network.The petition garnered one million signatures in less than 24 hours, according to Kane ...
 
Share
ABS-CBN's employees are experiencing real fear and uncertainty.
ABS-CBN executive Laurenti Dyogi belied accusations the network is using its employees and talents to gain sympathy from the public amid its shutdown from the airwaves. Up to now, there is still no assurance that the network will be able to resume ...
 
Share
Reports claim other broadcast companies are already circling the beleaguered network.
Rumors spread the past couple of days that Ayala Corp and several other companies are making plans to acquire the broadcast frequencies of ABS-CBN after the network was shut down by the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) last week. Citing unnamed sources, Manila Standard on ...
 
Share
The daughter of the GMA Network chief posted her comment on a Facebook post about ABS-CBN’s tax payments.
Sometimes, stories don’t come from the social media posts themselves, but from the comments section. On Saturday (May 9), Facebook user Willy Ramasola posted a lengthy status on his Facebook wall detailing his “discovery” of what he believes is a way for ABS-CBN ...
 
Share
The businessman issued a statement Sunday night.
Dennis Uy, chairman and CEO of Udenna Corporation, has spoken up about his company’s reported plans to acquire beleagured broadcast network ABS-CBN. In a statement sent to news outlets Sunday night (May 10), Uy clarified that his company has no designs on the ...
 
Share
He does so "with love and respect."
F. Sionil Jose publicly dismisses the shutdown of ABS-CBN as of no real loss."I'll not mourn the passing of ABS-CBN," says the member of the elite Order of National Artists of the Philippines. "The Filipinos do not really need ABS-CBN. It does ...
 
Share
No airwaves? No problem. TV Patrol rakes in eight million views in one night.
Two days after the government forced ABS-CBN to shut down, the network’s beloved news program TV Patrol returned online, and it slayed with eight million views on YouTube in just one night.During the livestream of the news program on YouTube, the number ...
 
Share
'There will be a reckoning.'
Two days after ABS-CBN’s shutdown by order of the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC), House Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano has finally broken his silence on the issue.“We were all ambushed by the NTC,” defended Cayetano, who went on to explain that Congress prioritized ...
 
Share
Here’s a list.
After ABS-CBN was forced to stop TV and radio broadcasting by the National Telecommunications Commission on Tuesday night, questions turned to how exactly the network was put into this position. Most people already know that, as a broadcast network, ABS-CBN needs to secure ...
 
Share
Global media reports ABS-CBN's closure, which has been characterized as an attack on freedom of speech and democracy.
The shuttering of ABS-CBN has sent shock waves not just in the Philippines but the rest of the world. On May 5, the media giant’s free TV and radio operations went dark after the sign off of its nightly news broadcast, TV Patrol. ABS-CBN ...
 
Share
Carlo Katigbak, CEO and President, also asked Filipinos for help.
ABS-CBN, which went off-air yesterday, May 5, has assured its employees no one will be removed from work for the next three months.After years of back and forth, the media giant was slapped with a cease and desist order by the National ...
 
Share
Congress has requested the NTC to grant ABS-CBN provisional authority to operate.
ABS-CBN Corporation’s legislative franchise expires today, May 4. The Office of the Solicitor General (OSG) warned the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) on May 3 it may be slapped with charges of graft if it gives the network provisional authority (PA) to operate while the renewal ...
 
Share
The Lopez Group appeals to corporations to pitch in.
The Lopez Group, which owns ABS-CBN, Sky, and holds stakes in a number of industries such as power, real estate, infrastructure, and manufacturing, has announced that it will donate P100 million to support people who temporarily lost their livelihood because of the ...
 
Share
"I accept the apology, of course."
President Rodrigo Duterte has accepted the national apology of ABS-CBN president and CEO Carlo Katigbak, and promised not to interfere in Congress’ deliberation on the network’s franchise renewal.The president also added that ABS-CBN should just donate the P2.6 million the network allegedly ...
 
Share
Former Chief Justice Reynato Puno, Senator Franklin Drilon weigh in on ABS-CBN franchise extension.
Former Chief Justice Reynato Puno and Senator Franklin Drilon insisted that ABS-CBN should not operate if its franchise expires on March 30, 2020. Nevertheless, Drilon has filed a joint resolution seeking the franchise extension of ABS-CBN until 2022. In a February 21 report on ...
 
Share
Carlo Katigbak became ABS-CBN's president and CEO in 2016.
On May 5, 2020, ABS-CBN, the Philippines' largest broadcasting company, shut down. It was forced to sign off the airwaves after the Duterte government refused to renew its license and ordered its shutdown amid the COVID-19 pandemic. The shutdown cast uncertainty on ...
Connect With Us