Some Roads Will Be Blocked for Chinese New Year
Chinese New Year is right around the corner, and that means celebrations will soon begin in Binondo, Manila. In light of this, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) has shared the Manila City government’s latest traffic advisory for when the festivities start.
Today, January 24, there will be a concert at Plaza San Lorenzo Ruiz and a fireworks display at Jones Bridge, so some roads in the area will be closed off starting at 5 p.m., and traffic will be rerouted accordingly. You can refer to the lists below for a better look:
Road closures on Friday, January 24
- Quintin Paredes from Dasmariñas to Plaza Ruiz
- Reina Regente from Soler to Plaza Ruiz
- Plaza Ruiz U-turn slot
- Juan Luna from Reina Regente to San Fernando
- San Fernando from Elcano to Plaza Ruiz
- Northbound lane of Jones Bridge from P. Burgos to Escolta
- Both lanes of Jones Bridge from Escolta to Magallanes Drive (from 10:30pm onwards only)
- For motorists coming from Juan Luna headed towards the southbound lane of Jones Bridge, go straight to Muelle dela Industria and onto McArthur Bridge
- For motorists using Soler St. going to Plaza Ruiz, turn right to Reina Regente then turn right or left at CM Recto towards point of destination
- For motorists using Jose Abad Santos going to Plaza Ruiz, turn left or right on CM Recto towards point of destination
- For motorists using San Fernando to get to Plaza Ruiz, turn right to Elcano, left to Urbiztondo, right to Barraca, left to Dasmariñas, right to Juan Luna, then left to Muelle dela Industria towards point of destination
- For motorists coming from P. Burgos who plan to get to the Binondo area via the northbound lane of Jones Bridge, use McArthur Bridge towards point of destination
Following these celebrations, there will be a grand parade on January 25 at 1pm, during which a stop-and-go traffic scheme will be implemented. While there are no definite road closures identified yet as of writing, the route of the parade has been announced, which you can see here:
Grand parade route
- Start from Post Office
- Turn right to Jones Bridge, Straight to Quintin Paredes St.
- Right onto Ongpin St., left to Ronquillo St
- Left towards F. Torres St.
- Turn left to Soler St.
- Right to Reina Regente St.
- End at Lucky Chinatown Mall
So, are you planning to drop by Chinatown this weekend to celebrate the start of a new Lunar Year? If yes, then keep this advisory with you because it might come in handy once you get there.
This story originally appeared on Topgear.com.ph.
* Minor edits have been made by the Esquiremag.ph editors.