DOTr Orders 36,000 Additional Concrete Barriers for EDSA
Last week, we questioned whether or not the concrete barriers lining EDSA—which have been involved in dozens of accidents since their implementation—are such a good idea. The Department of Transportation (DOTr) seems to think so, as the agency has decided to install thousands more along the country’s busiest thoroughfare.
In a Facebook post, the DOTr shared that it has ordered 36,000 additional concrete barriers to placed on EDSA. Agency head Arthur Tugade has also ordered the speedy delivery and implementation of said barriers, and the DOTr says this is for the safety and security of commuters using the EDSA Busway. Look:
“Upang mas maging ligtas at secure ang mga commuter gamit ang EDSA Busway, ipinag-utos ni DOTr Secretary Arthur Tugade na pabilisin ang delivery at pagkakabit ng mga concrete barriers,” the post reads, before reminding motorists that the inner-lane is reserved for buses and emergency vehicles only.
“Patuloy namang pinaaalala ng DOTr sa ating mga motorista na tanging mga bus at emergency vehicles lamang ang maaaring bumaybay sa EDSA Busway. Ipinagbabawal din dito ang ang mga pasaway na bus driver na kaskasero kung magmaneho.”
On July 24, a bus using the inner-lane was caught on video speeding and knocking down one of the EDSA Busway’s concrete barriers as it passed by. The DOTr and Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) has since issued a show-cause order to the bus driver and its operator.
We get the point of the barriers—they keep vehicles in check and prevent buses and motorists from swerving in and out of lanes as they please. There’s no denying, though, that they have the potential to cause accidents or make them worse, too.
This story originally appeared on Topgear.com.ph. Minor edits have been made by Esquiremag.ph editors.