This App Allows Commuters to Earn Extra Cash by Turning Them Into On-Demand Couriers
There’s a 2017 study by ride-hailing firm Uber that revealed that Metro Manila drivers spend 66 minutes on the road each day. A second report, this time by the Japan International Cooperation Agency, estimated that in the same year, the country was losing P4 billion a day due to traffic in Metro Manila.
While traffic is not going to be better anytime soon, there’s now an app that allows drivers and commuters to convert all that wasted time into cash.
“With Jojo Pasabay delivery, what we’re making sure is that you get fast and efficient delivery while helping a fellow Filipino stock on the road,” said Eunice San Miguel, marketing manager of the new Jojo app. “Look at EDSA and the MRT, and you will see millions of people going [to] different destinations every day. So it’s actually an untapped logistical resource.”
Described as “crowdshipping,” Jojo allows senders to book a courier—or what’s called a Jojo transporter—that can send their packages or documents. But unlike other logistics apps, these Jojo transporters are regular drivers or commuters who are already heading to the same destination as your package.
That’s where the “pasabay delivery” comes in, as these transporters are bringing these parcels with them to a place they were already going to.
“What we’re creating is a win-win situation for the sender and the transporter,” added San Miguel. “The sender gets fast and efficient shipping, while the transporter gets to earn extra going to a place he’s already headed to [with] no extra effort.”
Turning commute time to cash
The cost is based on the distance of a user’s request, with the app charging P99 for the first three kilometers and P8 for every kilometer that follows. Jay Fajardo, Jojo’s chief strategy officer, revealed that 80 percent of each payment goes to the transporters themselves, with the remaining 20 percent serving as fees taken by the platform.
“The idea was the monetization of that wasted time,” said Fajardo. “If you could actually convert these commuters into transporters, you've created millions of entrepreneurs, millions of transporters that have their own side-gig. The time wasted is now time spent earning a livelihood.”
View this post on Instagram
When you send items through the Jojo app, you’re not just getting fast, secure and convenient delivery. You’re also helping a fellow Filipino stuck in traffic to earn extra money from his daily commute. . How is that possible? Here at Jojo, we connect you with Transporters who are already heading towards the drop-off location of your package. Our Transporters can choose deliveries that match their way. No added traffic. No added stress. Just crowdshipping at its best. . Come on Pilipinas, let’s make this make this happen. Rolling out very, very soon. . . . . #JojoPasabay #Jojo #Jojodelivers #shipping #crowdshipping #app #new #delivery #bayanihan #filipino #filipinotech
San Miguel also noted that much like other on-demand services, transporters will have full control of their bookings. The team encourages these transporters to only accept bookings that are truly on the way to their destinations.
To date, there are 60 Jojo transporters delivering packages around Metro Manila. But the team promised that both their numbers and their reach will continuously expand as the app grows.
There’s another less obvious benefit to Jojo’s unique business model. Since the deliveries are being made by couriers already on the road, the Jojo team takes pride in being a sustainable and environmentally friendly service.
“Are we adding more fleet to the road? The answer is no,” she explained. “In that way, we are able to minimize our carbon footprint.”
San Miguel also pointed out that unlike other courier services, Jojo won’t be using the plastic pouches that come with deliveries. She explained that the packaging will come from the senders themselves, reducing the operation’s overall waste.
“It’s a sustainable way to ship,” she added.
The Jojo mobile app will officially launch on March 8. However, it is already available for download on both the App Store and Google Play Store.