The 12 Biggest Cringers From the Golden Globes
1. Emma Stone's awkward three way hug
After La La Land director Damien Chazelle won best screenplay for La La Land, Ryan Gosling went in for a hug with him, and then lead actress Emma Stone thought it was her turn. Only, er, the director reached for girlfriend Olivia Hamilton instead. Cue Emma responding the way we all would: "that was weird."
2. The audience's reaction to Tom Hiddleston's speech
Tom Hiddleston took home a gong for his role in The Night Manager, and spoke about the charity work he's been doing in South Sudan in his acceptance speech. While many Twitter users praised him for spreading awareness of the firearms problem, some criticised him for coming across like he was bragging. We know which side Naomi Harris and Christian Slater fell on.
3. Pharrell's reaction to this interviewer getting his film wrong
Pharrell received a nomination for best original score for Hidden Figures this year, and another movie Fences was up for awards, too. NBC presenter Jenna Bush Hager asked Pharrell about his role in Hidden Fences instead. Yeah.
4. The Golden Globes spelling John Legend's name incorrectly
Nobody found it more entertaining than his wife Chrissy Teigen, though.
5. Jimmy Fallon's autocue wasn't working
Jimmy kicked off proceedings after a pre-recorded La La Land-inspired opening number, only to tell the audience that his autocue wasn't working. "Already the teleprompter's down so this is a great way to start the show. I could do impressions. What do we do here?"
6. Twitter's savage reaction to Ryan Reynolds's fake tan
Ryan before the GGs (probably): "I'M AN EIGHT
7. Emma Stone's reaction to *that* Andrew Garfield/Ryan Reynolds kiss
Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield called time on their relationship in October 2015, but things are apparently still amicable between them - but that didn't stop her shocked reaction to his Golden Globes kiss with Ryan Reynolds.
8. Vince Vaughn and Mel Gibson's faces during Meryl Streep's speech
Meryl Streep gave a powerful speech about the Presidential Election when she accepted the Cecil B. DeMille award for lifetime achievement, focusing particularly on how 'her heart broke' when Donald Trump mocked a disabled reporter. Vince Vaughn and Mel Gibson didn't seem as enthused as the rest of the world, though.
9. Hugh Laurie left Tom Hiddleston hanging
When Hugh Laurie won best supporting actor for The Night Manager, Tom Hiddleston was left hanging when he didn't see his extending hand. Oops
10. This interviewer got Jessica Biel and Jessica Alba confused
Justin Timberlake is indeed married to the former.
11. Nicole Kidman crashing Tom Hiddleston's interview
Nicole stormed Tom's interview, and said: "That's enough. Enough talking. I'm so happy to be here, and I'm determined to have fun, that's why I did that", before saying: "Get me out of here" when she was asked about what she was wearing. You do you, Nicole.
12. Laura Dern blanking Billy-Bob Thornton
Laura Dern did her best to avoid any interaction with Billy-Bob Thornton when he squeezed past her chair to accept his award for best actor in a television series for Goliath. Billy-Bob famously broke up with her in 1999 to date Angelina Jolie, instead.
This story originally appeared on COSMO.uk.
* Minor edits have been made by the Esquiremag.ph editors.
Subscribe to our newsletter!