WATCH: DOTr Reports Its Achievements in This Video—Let's Check!
Last week, the DOTr posted a rather lengthy video narrating their accomplishments since the turnover to the administration of President Duterte and the DOTr Secretary Arthur P. Tugade, (or as they call him, the “equally-strong-willed businessman turned public servant”).
The caption also reads, "The DOTr came in at really a bad time. People were already impatient, tired, and hopeless. The country’s transportation system was always in the news, mostly for the wrong reasons. For the past two years, the new DOTr changed and continues to change that."
The 16-minute video (!) is quite a ride, containing from some achievements worth applauding and a few questionable editorials. Within the first five minutes, for the example, they describe NAIA airport’s transformation in the past term as the “worst to
Here's their video in its entire 16-minute glory:
While the video is chock full of great information, it also counts as achievements some things that are yet to be finished. In case you don’t have the stamina to watch through the whole thing, we’ve summed up the highlights, particularly the accomplishments with results we should be able to see today and hold the DOTr accountable for:
Accomplishments in Aviation
- The supposed end of
tanim- bala. (Fact check: Though incidents of tanim- balahave lowered, the last incident reported was on June 15 in NAIA Terminal 3.)
- The now fast & reliable WiFi in NAIA.
- They also report redirecting flights to Clark Airport. From 7 flights a week to 200 flights a week in Clark Airport; 800,000 passengers to 1.5 million passengers traveling through weekly.
- The new Communications Navigation Surveillance / Air Traffic Management (CNS/ATM) systems
wasinaugurated on Jan 16, 2018. It aims to make air safe spacer and raises our air traffic radars from 3-13. The project was initiated in 2009.
- From 2017, three airports were inaugurated: a new international airport in Puerto Princesa, a new terminal in Mactan Cebu International Airport, and Lal-lo airport in Cagayan North. (Fact check: These projects, while completed in 2017, began in 2015 or earlier.)
- Four airports have also “been given a facelift”: Tuguegarao Airport, Virac Airport, Tacloban Airport and Maasin Airport in
Visayas, and San Vicente Airport. (Fact check: That's five?)
Accomplishments in Railways
- Since November 2017, the MRT 3 has obtained a new maintenance transition team that has reduced unloading incidents. Apparently, this has also lead to the longest streak of days without unloading accidents (the photo indicates 28 days).
Accomplishments in the Road Sector
- After a long backlog in licenses, motorists now receive their plastic licenses and enjoy an extended validity period of five years.
- A 3 million vehicle plate backlog has also been reported as fixed, after inaugurating a new plate manufacturing facility. Since July 5, plates have been released nationwide.
- "Before, old and dilapidated jeepneys were considered as kings of the road." (Fact check: the program is still being processed, even though a model of the modernised jeepney has been launched.)