News

Ace Photographer Raymund Isaac Passes Away

RIP to a Filipino photography icon.
IMAGE FACEBOOK/RAYMUND ISAAC
Comments

Photographer and visual artist Raymund Isaac passed away on Saturday (September 4). He was 59 years old. Younger brother Edward confirmed the news in a Facebook post. 

Photo by Facebook / Edward Isaac.

Isaac, a giant in contemporary Filipino photography, was hospitalized for COVID-19 in San Francisco last July 24, according to a post on his Facebook account. By August 6, his partner Jayson Vicente posted an update that the photographer had been intubated because his oxygen level had dropped drastically.

In social media posts, Vicente revealed that he and Isaac got married in the U.S. last July 15, just one week before he was hospitalized.  

Isaac is widely recognized as one of the most talented photographers of his generation. Born on June 28, 1962, Isaac studied in New York and established himself as a celebrity photographer upon his return to Manila. “I took advantage of the ‘colonial mentality’ of the time, marketing myself to the perception they wanted,” he said in an interview with Philippine Tatler. “Needless to say, I got my foot in the door.”

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

Starting in fashion editorial, Isaac quickly became one of the most in-demand in the business, shooting almost everybody of note for countless local and event international publications. He eventually went on to shoot beauty and advertising campaigns, working with well-known brands such as Evian and De Beers. He has won numerous awards, including American Photo Magazine’s Beauty and Glamour categories, and has published several books.

Throughout his career, he became a favorite photographer for many celebrities and VIPs, including superstars such as Lea Salonga, Piolo Pascual, and Judy Ann Santos. In later years Isaac also dabbled in video and produced video podcasts that he shared on his YouTube channel.

Isaac flew to the U.S. last July and posted a photo from Las Vegas on July 12. He also posted photos of shots he took from the Nelson Nevada Ghost Town in Boulder City on July 14.

By July 24, Isaac posted that he had been rushed to the California Pacific Medical Center. He had asked for prayers from his followers and supporters and said he had been alone because of COVID-19 rules.

In his latest social media post, dated August 28, Vicente said Isaac was stable but was still intubated and sedated in the ICU.

CONTINUE READING BELOW
Recommended Videos

“The medical team monitors his condition closely & I receive regular reports on his O2 levels, BP, & other organ functions,” Vicente said. “Though his condition changes periodically, I know that he is fighting hard.”

Discover the best of culture, business, and style from Esquire Philippines. Visit Quento for more stories and subscribe to our YouTube channel for new videos. 

Comments
More Videos You Can Watch
About The Author
Esquire Philippines
View Other Articles From Esquire
Latest Feed
Load More Articles
Connect With Us