Lambanog Sends 300 People to Hospitals in Laguna
Be careful where you get your booze these days. According to a report by ABS-CBN, at least 300 suffered food poisoning after allegedly ingesting lambanog, a traditional Filipino liquor made from coconut sap or tuba that has been aged for at least 48 hours. The victims were taken to various hospitals in Laguna after experiencing abdominal pains, vomiting, and diarrhea. Symptoms of food poisoning usually manifest within hours of ingesting contaminated food.
The lambanog in question is Rey Lambanog, whose manufacturer has promised to help the victims in shouldering the costs of their medical bills, according to a report by ABS-CBN. According to the report, the lambanog had high levels of methanol.
Rey Fred, the owner of the Rey Lambanog, has already surrendered himself to authorities and is now in the custody of Candelaria police in Laguna.
Because of the health crisis linked with lambanog, Laguna governor Ramil Hernandez has temporarily suspended the sale of lambanog in the province until further notice.