News

Barangay Official Insists She Was Right to Block Lugaw Delivery

Her defense is a barangay ordinance.
IMAGE MARVIN IGNACIO, SHUTTERSTOCK
Comments

The barangay official in the latest viral video has defended her decision not to let a food delivery driver through a checkpoint in San Jose Del Monte, Bulacan. 

In a report on 24 Oras Thursday night (April 1), reporter Ivan Mayrina said he was able to talk to the official, who was identified as Phez Raymundo, who said that there is an ordinance in their barangay that mandates all food establishments must be closed during curfew hours.

Based on the latest IATF guidelines, curfew is being observed within the National Capital Region and nearby provinces Cavite, Laguna, Rizal, and Bulacan between 6 p.m. and 5 a.m. the next day.

Raymundo also denied that she had been sacked from her job despite numerous memes and supposed “statements” circulating online.

She declined to be interviewed on camera but said she intends to make an official statement at the proper time.

In the same report, Raymundo’s colleagues in the barangay said that businesses providing essential services such as restaurants and food outlets must be allowed to continuously operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week. They also insisted that delivery riders must be allowed through checkpoints.

Twenty-three-year-old GrabFood rider Marvin Ignacio went viral when he posted a video of the interaction he had with Raymundo last Wednesday. The incident has since sparked debates about whether lugaw is considered “essential” or not, a debate that was definitely laid to rest by Malacañang when presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said definitively said that all food items are considered “essential.”

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

Watch the 24 Oras report here.

CONTINUE READING BELOW
Recommended Videos
Comments
View More Articles About:
More Videos You Can Watch
About The Author
Esquire Philippines
View Other Articles From Esquire
Latest Feed
Load More Articles
Connect With Us